The Battle of the Metallic Matte Lipsticks

September 13, 2017

Hey badass beauties!
Metallic Mattes seem to have taken the beauty world by storm this summer, so I hopped on the bandwagon & purchased three metallic matte lipsticks from three different brands; Revlon Ultra HD Matte Metallic Lipcolor in HD Glitz, Maybelline Color Sensational Matte Metallics in Gunmetal, & NYX Liquid Suede Metallic Matte lipstick in Go Rogue. As you all know, I'm all about sparkle and standout shades, so I was very excited when I saw the trend of Metallic Mattes emerge. Who doesn't love a metallic lip?! All three of these shades are similar due to the fact that they all have a black tone to them, so I figured it would be a good comparison.


I purchased Revlon's HD Glitz shortly after the line just came out, because I saw the color and automatically fell in love. It was the most standout shade in the bunch & is definitely unique compared to the usual Revlon lipstick line because well, it's blue! HD Glitz is a blueish black color, Gunmetal is a black color with blue sparkle, and Go Rogue is a deep grey-black.


First up is Revlon Ultra HD Matte Metallic Lipcolor in HD Glitz.


As you can see, it's super glossy... nowhere near matte.



Revlon's Ultra HD Matte Metallic Lipcolor was sort of a disappointment, because the name Matte Metallic is very misleading. This lipstick is streaky, and it is not matte whatsoever. It does not dry down, easily transfers, and it honestly feels more like a lip gloss or lip topper than anything. It is difficult to build up the color as it is so patchy and sticky, but if you are able to reach a decent coverage it is a beautiful shade. I'm not sure if it's just this color since it is blue or if all of the line is like this, but this was a bit of a letdown for me. This one was definitely my least favorite of the three, because I was so hoping for a beautiful metallic matte blue. Considering this was the priciest of the bunch, it was definitely a bust for me as it is not matte & not really metallic either. The only pros to this shade are the color and the pleasant vanilla scent. I still give Revlon props for going daring & thinking outside of the box with creating such a standout shade compared to their usual lipstick line! If you'd like to try this lipstick out for yourself, you can purchase it at your local drugstore or wal-mart for $8.



Next comes Maybelline Color Sensational Matte Metallics in Gunmetal.










Maybelline's Matte Metallic is a decent Metallic Matte. It is not transfer proof, but it does have that matte feel to it while still feeling comfortable on the lips. It's a gorgeous blue black shade, and has a lot of beautiful sparkle to it so that's a total plus for me. The finish of this lipstick is very subtle, and is not a standout metallic. In fact this lipstick looks more frosty, like the MAC Frost Lipsticks. This formula unfortunately does crease in the lips, and you would definitely have to reapply various times throughout the day for a lasting effect. Overall, I was fairly happy with this lipstick. It applies easily and quickly builds up to full opacity, has great pigmentation, and it is a metallic matte like it claims. The two downsides are the metallic finish is quite subtle(although I'm sure some people would love the subtlety of it), and it is pretty easy for it to crease in your lips, but I'm not mad at it! I do like it a lot and will continue to wear it. You can purchase this lipstick on Maybelline's official website or at your local Wal-Mart or drugstore for $7.50.



Last but not least is NYX Liquid Suede Metallic Matte in Go Rogue.




Nyx's Metallic Matte has to be my favorite of the bunch. It is a beautiful shimmery dark grey/black & is one of the most matte lipsticks that I own. It goes on smoothly, & is transfer proof! It dries down completely, without being too drying. I also applied lip balm beforehand as I do with all matte lippies, so I'm sure that helped. You can definitely tell you are wearing it on your lips, but for me it's not an uncomfortable feeling. There's a nice metallic sheen to it as you can see in the picture, butthe picture doesn't even begin to do it justice. This happens to be the cheapest of the bunch and is by far the best metallic matte of the three as it is actually a true metallic matte. I cannot recommend this product enough! It is $7.50 on NYX's official website.



What do you guys think? Do you have any experiences with Metallic Matte lippies? I personally love them, but with how difficult it is to create a Metallic Matte, they are either a huge hit or a miss.
Let me know what you think in the comments below, and what you'd like to see next! As always, thanks so much for reading.





You Might Also Like

0 comments